Welcome to the Port Byron Library
“Exploring Science at the Library” Fall 2017 program!
We’re glad you’ve decided to join us.
This Chemistry-based program will run for 8 weeks beginning September 13th, 2017.
Please make sure to check the website each week as we try to keep you up-to-date with pertinent information that you might find useful.
Here’s some to start:
Lab Safety Rules:
Lab safety rules for students
- Report all accidents, injuries, and breakage of glass or equipment to instructor immediately.
- Keep pathways clear by placing extra items (books, bags, etc.) on the shelves or under the work tables. If under the tables, make sure that these items can not be stepped on.
- Long hair (chin-length or longer) must be tied back to avoid catching fire.
- Wear sensible clothing including footwear. Loose clothing should be secured so they do not get caught in a flame or chemicals.
- Work quietly — know what you are doing by readingthe assigned experiment before you start to work. Pay close attention to any cautions described in the laboratory exercises
- Do not taste or smell chemicals.
- Wear safety gogglesto protect your eyes when heating substances, dissecting, etc.
- Do not attempt to change the position of glass tubing in a stopper.
- Neverpoint a test tube being heated at another student or yourself. Never look into a test tube while you are heating it.
- Unauthorized experiments or procedures must not be attempted.
- Keep solids out of the sink.
- Leave your work station clean and in good order before leaving the laboratory.
- Do not lean, hang over or sit on the laboratory tables.
- Do not leave your assigned laboratory station without permission of the teacher.
- Learn the location of the fire extinguisher, eye wash station, first aid kit and safety shower.
- Fooling around or “horse play” in the laboratory is absolutely forbidden. Students found in violation of this safety rule will be barred from particpating in future labs and could result in suspension.
- Anyone wearing acrylic nails will not be allowed to work with matches, lighted splints, bunsen burners, etc.
- Do not lift any solutions, glassware or other types of apparatus above eye level.
- Follow all instructions given by your teacher.
- Learn how to transport all materials and equipment safely.
- No eating or drinking in the lab at any time!
We will provide this Safety Contract for each participant to sign
Get to know your lab equipment:
Helpful tips on starting and keeping a lab notebook: